Blessed Portion Friday Update 9-7-18
Exodus 6:9 " Therefore, say to the Israelites; I am the Lord, and I will bring you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians, I will free you from being slaves to them, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with mighty acts of judgement. I will take you as my own people, and I will be your God. Then you will know that I am the Lord your God, who brought you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians"
"Moses reported this to the Israelites, but they did not listen to him because of their discouragement and harsh labor."
Tonight we had such a blessed night with our friends. Thanks to St. Joe church of Christ, Jennifer Laux, Rod Laux, Autumn, Kat, and the others who made chicken and noodles, warm bread with butter... and deserts from Kim Ted Shook. We had the exact amount of food needed and it was nice to have hot meal with the rain we had. Thank you St. Joe Church of Christ for adding us to be one of the outreaches you serve!!!
Here are some of the highlights of our evening.
1. We saw our friend Jerry who last week gave his life over to Jesus and threw away his vices. He shared a little about his life and some pain he is going through and yet he still smiles and is in a good mood. He is a gentle giant and we are so thankful that we can get to know him a little better.
2. Have one of our friends who is no longer on the streets, but is in a recovery house and that is fabulous. He is needing some prayers as being sober is not easy...so pray for him.
3. Our friend from a couple weeks ago is doing great. He came to us saying he needed help and wanted to get sober. So we got him to the Rescue Mission, but because he blew a .336 he had to go detox first. Saw him tonight and he is so happy. He said that he got his job back, and is doing ok with no alcohol. He is determined to make it and again we are thankful.
4. We also had a man come up to us at The Mission and asked me if I recognized him. I told him I am very bad with names. He said "I'm the guy from the bridge!" Took me a second to piece it together and then I knew. We met him a couple weeks ago and he said he was just passing through, didn't really want anything, but of course we left him food because all the mamas that serve with us cant help ourselves. I told him that I have only seen him in the dark, not in the light and that's why I didn't recognize him...and then I cried!!
As I looked around I saw friends who are displaying so much courage to better themselves. It was just another reminder that God is in control. Its not us or anyone else who can make people want to change...we just point to the way, invite them to allow Jesus into their lives and God takes over.
5. Have one friend who has struggled the past month. He works and doesn't have any addiction issues but sometimes living paycheck to paycheck makes it hard to keep up with bills. He was really frustrated one night and I think was barely hanging on...but tonight he beamed from ear to ear. He is on the right track and theres some spark in his eyes...he didn't give up----he just trusted in God to make things be ok and they are.
So for those we served tonight there are many who are barely hanging on...feeling that God doesn't answer prayer. One friend in particular stated how that he drinks to numb the pain of his family rejecting him. He sleeps outside, gets a monthly check but feels completely alone and has no one, so for him he drinks. We talked with him about how we can direct him to getting apartment and he was thankful for that and were praying it works out!!! The verse at the top of this post is what we talked about tonight. For Moses and the people God wanted set free were frustrated because their "freedom" was taking longer then they wanted. When Moses told them what God said, as you can see in the passage...they couldn't believe it. Their suffering had gone on so long and they were mentally done--eventually though freedom was made available… So we talked about in our own lives as we go through trials, a LONG time of suffering, of not feeling God is making a way we can get like them. We though have to rely on Gods word, that He is who He says He is, that He will do what He says He will do, and that He loves us and will never leave.
Thank you everyone. Tonight the bins were emptied and that is good. Its amazing at what just a clean pair of socks can make someone smile. Thankyou for the continuos donations that come through. Thanks to Pathway Community Church, Grace Summit Church, Hamilton Chruch of Christ, St Joe church of Christ, Toby Hendrickson, Rochelle Bloomfield-Wilson, Jacquie Aldrich, Christina Scheiber, Michael Jordan, Kim Ted Shook, Jennifer Laux and her crew, Tracy Hine-Bullion, Dale Bullion, Laura Mock, Randy and Cherrilyn Thomas, Danny, Sharon Ringenberg, Lauren Grant, Dennis Brown and all who drop off items, for those who drive on Sunday, to Kimberly Rinehart Neuhouser and those who make lunches for us... all that everyone does makes Fridays possible!!
* IT IS HARD for me to put this big need out there, but we have to have safe transportation for people each week and need your help. One of our ministry vans is becoming a money pit. We have had to put 3000. in it the last month and we need a safer vehicle that doesn't require so many repairs. We need to possibly trade our van in which has a little over 130,000 miles on it, or sell it and purchase a different vehicle. We are a low budget ministry so please pray God as He always does provides a better vehicle so we an continue to operate on Fridays and each Sunday morning as we pick people up for church. So pray for us along those lines as well. Thanks everyone and enjoy your weekend.